Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Unschooling Interview on Connected Mom

What's one thing you wish people knew about unschooling?

I wouldn’t say unschooling, per se, but there is one thing I wish that people would realize: that people, all people (children, teens, adults), don’t have to be TAUGHT to LEARN, and in fact will even learn better when engaged and interested in the subject matter, pursuing learning of their own free will.  The belief that teaching is necessary for learning, and that learning is something difficult and un-enjoyable, so that people must be FORCED to do it, is one I find very frustrating.  That belief is the biggest thing standing in the way of people understanding unschooling!
Head on over to Connected Mom to read the entire interview!
Peace,
Idzie

P.S. A big thanks to Ronnie for reading over this interview (I was alone in the house when I wrote it, so couldn't rope any family members into reading it) and giving some great feedback that really helped me make this piece better! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Idzie. I find your views really encouraging, especially when unschooling 3 children gets tough and school starts to look attractive (such a dangerous thought!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love reading about your experiences! Thank you for writing and sharing, always.

    ReplyDelete